Whether you’re blessed with the God given ability to jump high or are looking for a way to match up to those high leapers, proper training is something that something everyone needs to hone their skill.
Even Michael Jordan spent hours and hours in the gym for years to become the great player that he is.
And if you want to be able to jump higher than everyone else and dunk the ball like they do in the slam dunk contests, getting the right workouts and exercises is the best way to go about it.
Our Top 2 Vertical Jump Training Program Picks
In this review pick out the top 2 jump training programs we’ve seen deliver results. And we recommend them to anyone who wants to improve their vertical jump or learn how to dunk.
Our top 2 picks use different training methods to get the same results, jump higher. They can be used to train for basketball, volleyball and football, or anyone who needs added inches in their jump height.
Here is our comparison chart of the top 2 workout programs, which are the Jump Manual and the Vert Shock System. The table is a quick way to see their features so you can choose which is more suited to you.
Below the table we describe each more fully.
Pick #1 – The Jump Manual
The Jump Manual has been around for a few years now, and it is tried and tested to produce results. The program was created by Jacob Hiller who now trains Olympic athletes and NBA players in helping them increase jump height.
The Jump Manual is our top pick because it is an all-around program that builds not only jumping power but also speed, conditioning, flexibility and teaches you how to eat properly as an athlete.
- It is a 12 week program that is able to give users improvements of 10 or more inches during that period.
- Hiller is so confident of the program’s results that he offers the Jump Manual for $1 for the first 21 days. If you’re not happy with the results by then, you don’t need to pay for the program.
- The program also includes a one-on-one consultation with Jacob Hiller that allows you to ask all the questions you need. Before starting the program you will also be required to take video of yourself jumping. They will then analyze your technique and form as a starting point to make it better.
- In terms of training, it teaches proper warm-up routines, stretches to help with jumping ability, strength training (with or without weights, your choice), plyometrics and post workout routines.
This allows it to cover the different aspects of leg and body strength needed to jump high, have good hang time and be able to explode from the floor.
To learn more about the Jump Manual, read our review here.
Pick #2 – Vert Shock by Adam Folker
This is a shorter program that goes for 8 weeks and also uses shorter training sessions of under 1 hour. This makes sure you don’t overtrain, or over strain your muscles which often can increase risk of injury or prevent getting good gains.
In 8 weeks, users are expected to get increases of between 9 to 16 inches in their jump.
What makes Vert Shock different from most jump workouts comes down to 2 things:
- It is created by professional basketball players as opposed to trainers.
- It does not use gym equipment or weights. So you don’t need gym membership or need to buy equipment.
What we like about the program is that is shows us a new method of adding inches to our jump without having to lift heavy weights to get there.
Vert Shock is ideal for you if you want to increase vertical leap but:
- You are still young and growing, and don’t want lifting heavy weights to prevent your growth spurt.
- You don’t have access to gym equipment, or don’t have time to get to a gym.
- You don’t want to spend hours and hours per session training.
- You find it hard to set a steady workout schedule for more than 8 weeks.
All the workouts and exercises are laid out so following them is easy. Just go step by step and watch how each exercise is done and do as they are listed in the workout chart.
Read our Vert Shock review for more information.
There are a lot of workouts that claim to help players improve their jump. We’ve gone through many that don’t work, some that work only slightly and others that make you train way too much.
The 2 vertical jump training workouts above are the best when it comes to “work to result” efficiently. By that we mean you get the most results for the work you put in, not the other way around.
They both use sound methods that produce improvements in vertical leap.
It’s just a matter of choosing which method works better for you, the Jump Manual or Vert Shock.